Use and care instructions for your Invisalign aligners
- Wear the aligners the recommended amount, usually 20-22 hours a day for 7 days. Only remove to eat and brush.
- Use aligner chewies daily to massage the aligner tightly over teeth.
- Free the aligners on both sides prior to removing, do not “peel” off using only 1 side
- Actively monitor tracking. Fit is most important on day 7.
Poor tracking: If aligners are not tracking, use chewies more often, wear aligners longer*
Maintenance of aligners:
- Clean using a toothbrush and dish soap with warm water
- Store aligners in the compact case (not a napkin) when not in use
- Rinse your mouth after eating to avoid trapping sugars/bacteria
- If you lose or break an aligner, wear the next aligner for 2 weeks
- Call our office if an attachment comes loose, or if aligners are not tracking on day 7
What you can expect:
- The first few days will be the biggest challenge. You can expect sore teeth, excessive saliva, dry lips, a mild speech impediment, and difficulty with aligner insertion/removal. Don’t worry! All of this will subside within 2-3 days of starting treatment. A mild pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol can be helpful the first day.
- Teeth will become slightly more mobile during treatment. Small spaces may temporarily open between teeth. These are normal findings.
- If the aligner edges are causing ulcerations on the lips or cheeks, use an Emory board to smooth the aligner. A small piece of wax on the aligner edge is an alternative.